Wedding Countdown Ticker

Monday, July 5, 2010

Independence Day Weekend

This weekend was full of wonderful adventures. I went up north to visit my very good friend, Jeff. Whenever we talk, I'm always left pondering many subjects, with new perspectives and opinions to consider. During our two days spent together, we talked about everything from movies, to sushi, to where we want to live, to what kind of person we want to marry, to effective and ineffective types of billboards.

Saturday morning we went to the Freedom Festival in downtown Provo. There were so many awesome booths selling trinkets, food, artwork, and there was even face painting. Jeff and I saw a booth that sold "Twisted Taters" and we just had to try them. They were amazing! We stopped and watched a reptile show, which was so entertaining! We were right up front, sitting on the grass with little kids all around us. It was so cute to see them get so excited and scared about the different animals that were brought out. After the show we were both thoroughly sunburned.. so we went on a journey to find some aloe vera and sunscreen. Once victorious after a visit to Walgreens, we headed over to Colonial Days at the park. We were able to catch the last bit of the pageant that was being put on, and then we walked around, making a quick stop at the Statue of Liberty, and exploring the tents filled with colonial products. One lady was selling home-made brooms. They were so awesome to look at! (And they swept really well, too!) I got to learn how to shoot a gun that would have been used in war in colonial days. It was so heavy! The man that was teaching me how to shoot it told me that if I had been a soldier in those days, I would have had to pull off three or four rounds a minute. That seems absolutely impossible to me.. it took me five minutes just to load it once!

Once we had had our fill of colonial-ness.. we decided we were hungry! So we went to this little "hole-in-the-wall" type place called Sushi Ya; an all-you-can-eat sushi bar. It was SO good! But we ate so much, I was still full the next day! After lunch/dinner, we decided a nap would be a good idea. So we found a park with some shady trees, stretched out, and fell asleep. The weather in Provo that day was absolutely perfect. I could have slept under that tree forever. It felt good just to be outside, with slivers of sunshine dancing across my face, a gentle breeze drifting lazily by. But sadly, the time came for braving the parking lot jungle of Stadium of Fire.
After we had made our way through traffic and to our seats, a huge feeling of excitement began to set in. I'd never been to Stadium of Fire before, but I had heard so many good things about it. And what I had heard was exactly correct. There were so many talented people involved, and I can only imagine how many hundreds of volunteers were involved in making the event run smoothly. Everyone who performed did spectacularly, and the fireworks were absolutely breathtaking!

Sunday was absolutely crazy. I was woken up by my sweet little cousin, Maddie. :] After a bit of morning chit-chat, I hopped back upstairs to get ready for the day. We headed over to Jeff's niece's house for a luncheon before church, because her baby boy was getting blessed in sacrament that day. Lunch was overwhelming. I shook so many hands I thought my arm was going to fall off. And there were so many people, so many names, so many faces. I couldn't even imagine trying to remember them all. But meeting everyone was enjoyable. Everyone smiled it seemed to me that they genuinely meant it when they said "I'm so glad to meet you!"

Sacrament was a joy. I got the privilege of holding baby Kaleb and keeping him entertained was so much fun! We colored, read books, and open and closed the hymn books who knows how many times. I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to be able to spend such sweet, irreplaceable time with my own kids.

I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to spend this weekend with such awesome, genuine, inspiring people. I absolutely loved every moment of it!


I really slacked off in the picture-taking department this time around.. It won't happen again!

No comments:

Post a Comment